When it comes to protecting your investment and maintaining tenant satisfaction, one crucial decision you will face is whether or not to partner with a home warranty company. After considerable experience in this domain, Green Residential has crystallized its stance: we do not recommend relying on home warranty companies. In this article, we delve into the multifaceted reasons behind our recommendation, outlining the common problems we have encountered over time.
Understanding the Challenges
First, let us address the recurrent issues that have driven our viewpoint regarding home warranty companies:
- Lengthy Hold Times: Initiating a claim can be a time-consuming process, often involving long hold times.
- Misdirected Communications: Despite instructions to contact the tenants directly, warranty contractors frequently reach out to the homeowners to schedule appointments, thereby complicating the process.
- Avoidance Tactics: Contractors from these companies tend to find reasons not to cover a repair, adding to the stress and inconvenience.
- Missed Appointments: It's not uncommon for contractors to miss scheduled appointments, causing delays and dissatisfaction.
- Subpar Solutions: Contractors often opt for the cheapest fix rather than addressing the root of the problem, leading to recurring issues.
- Delayed Part Orders: Ordering necessary parts for a repair can be a slow process, further delaying the resolution.
Implications on Landlord-Tenant Relations
Our observations have led us to conclude that engaging a home warranty company can seriously strain the relationship between a landlord and tenant, potentially increasing turnover rates and preparation costs for new tenants.
In many instances, especially with critical systems like HVAC, repairs can stretch between 3 to 10 business days. This delay predominantly arises from the initial diagnostics followed by the time taken to procure additional parts, which invariably affects the tenant’s living conditions and satisfaction.
The Green Residential Recommendation
Given the scenarios we have often encountered, our unequivocal recommendation is to sidestep home warranty companies. However, if you choose to purchase a home warranty for your rental property, we strongly advise having a separate contractor on call to deal with urgent issues such as HVAC breakdowns and other pressing repairs that home warranty companies typically fail to address swiftly.
We emphasize fostering a healthy relationship with your tenants, which can lead to lease renewals and a reduction in the associated costs of finding new occupants. While it may seem like a cost-saving measure to rely on a home warranty company for all repairs, the resultant delays can sour the tenant’s experience, making them less likely to renew their lease.
Partner with Green Residential for Prompt Services
At Green Residential, we nurture preferred relationships with a broad spectrum of vendors. Our AC technicians, for instance, are usually able to respond to a repair request within 24 hours, often resolving the issue within this timeframe, be it procuring replacement parts or installing a new HVAC system.
We are open to further discussions and to answer any questions you may have regarding property management or our experiences with home warranty companies. Do not hesitate to reach out to Green Residential today for guidance grounded in expertise and a rich history of property management.